Easy Digital Downloads is a plugin built specifically for selling digital products. It has been designed around the needs of those people selling digital products, rather than around the idea of physical products with digital as a side feature, as most ecommerce plugins are. The plugin is still relatively new but has already garnered a huge response from the WordPress community.
Since its release in April, Easy Digital Downloads has seen over 27,000 downloads on WordPress.org, a nearly perfect 5 star rating, and some very rapid development that is constantly enhancing the plugin even further.
Let’s look at some of the features of the plugin:
It may seem like common sense for an ecommerce plugin to include a shopping cart, but it’s actually pretty rare for purely digital sales to include a cart system. None of the other digital-goods focused ecommerce plugins include one, and nor do the industry giants like Theme Forest (The Mojo marketplaces do though ). The ability to purchase multiple products are once is huge.
Easy Digital Downloads includes a reporting system that can show you earnings graphs for the current month, previous month, current quarter, last quarter, current year, last year, and any other custom date range. It also has reporting features that can show you your top grossing downloads, including their average monthly earnings / sales, and also a reporting system on customers. Want to find who your best customer is? Easy.
While still being very powerful, Easy Digital Downloads is also very lightweight. Rather than impose its own unique styling to your store pages (as most ecommerce plugins do), Easy Digital Downloads lets your current theme dictate most of the styling, which makes a seamless integration much easier. This also means that EDD works with the vast majority of all WordPress themes without having drastic styling clashes.
Simple and Variable Download Pricing
The plugin includes the option to set a simple, single price for each download product as well as the option to enable Variable Prices, which give you the ability to create multiple prices the buyer can choose from. You can also dictate which files the buyer receives depending on which price they choose.
Every aspect and more of the plugin has been documentated and the documentation is being improved every single week.
One of the aspects that makes Easy Digital Downloads truly powerful is how extendable it is. This means that add-on plugins can be written to further enhance the default functionality. There are currently over 50 extensions available and some of the highlights include:
- Affiliates Pro Integration for providing a complete affiliate tracking and management system inside your WordPress install.
- Software Licensing for generating and tracking license keys as well as serving automatic updates to WordPress products.
- Commissions for automatically tracking and paying out commissions to multiple users when products sale.
- Payment gateway for accepting credit card payments through PayPal Pro.
- EDD Social Links for adding social sharing icons to download pages.
- Mail Chimp integration for automatically signing up buyers to your Mail Chimp newsletters.
- Payment gateway for accepting credit cards through Authorize.net
- Pushover Notifications for getting sales and earnings reports pushed directly to your phone.
- PDF Invoices that let your buyers download PDF invoice receipts.
- Payment gateway for accepting credit card payments through Stripe.com.
- EDD Slider for showing a fully-responsive image slider on the product pages.
- Amazon S3 integration for delivering download files from your Amazon S3 CDN storage.